Tuesday, June 23, 2009

No nightingale did ever chant...

" For oft, when on my couch I lie
  In vacant or in pensive mood,
  They flash upon that inward eye
  Which is the bliss of solitude.
  And then my heart with pleasure fills,
  And dances with the daffodils. "

What could have been the fountainhead of such unabated joy ?
" A host of golden daffodils " ? 

I really do not know what was the source of inspiration for the mystical pantheist, but there is no gainsaying the fact that Wordsworth's poetry has inspired generations to come and I am no different. There's a sort of an eerie feeling that you have when you read his poems and realize that they are but a 'spontaneous outburst of emotions recollected in tranquility.'

Poetry is unpremeditated, but still how do emotions follow a meter ? How come there is never a single word in his poems that seems superfluous ? How come his poems always manage to strum the strings of the heart ?
I don't have answers to any of these questions, but I know for sure that Wordsworth's poems made the world seem a better place to live in...